“That’s easy and fun!”, you might say! And I say you’ve got the fun part right! For me, this isn’t easy… The first obstacle I’ve encounter is: “What is a marshmallow???”
Yes, you got it… I’ve never seen it (only on movies), never taste it, never feel it. For me is was some kind of a salted sponge, that North Americans like you cook on fire. Then I was faced with the question about using marshmallows on hot cocoa… Marshmallows on hot cocoa?? I was surprised, but I’ve never said no to something I’ve never tasted before, so, I was curious.
Since we don’t have them here in Portugal, I really have to make them if I want to enter the contest. After seeing some recipes, I realized that marshmallows are sweet!!! And that North Americans cook them because they got a crispy caramel around them! Yami!
Having conquer my first obstacle, I faced another one: What does it look like?
I’ve tried to follow a recipe, but I don’t know what am I doing wrong 😦 Here is the recipe I’m making:
1. Dissolve 2 tablespoons of gelatin in half a cup of cold water:
2. In a pan, dissolve 2 cups of sugar in 3/4 cup of water. Take it to the fire until it reaches pearl spot (when it does pearls on a string), making sure that the crystals were dissolve:
3. Join the sugar to the gelatin. Put this in a glass bowl, let it rest a little and then mix until it becomes thick and white. Put some flavours (like vanilla).
4. In a cup, mix 2 tablespoons of corn starch with 2 tablespoons of confectioners sugar. Dust a pan with half of it. Put the marshmallow in the pan and let it dry out.
5. When the marshmallows are ready, cut them and dust them with the rest of the sugar.
Above is what my first try looks like. It didn’t grow at all, but it tastes superb!
In the second time, it looks much better, as you can see. But I don’t know what time it takes to go hard (it goes hard, right?)
Tomorrow I’ll try another recipe if this one doesn’t work… I welcome suggestions without corn syrup (I’ve looked and looked, and haven’t found any! Not even Golden syrup – thanks for the tip insanknitty)